Wednesday, November 10, 2010

So I love dogs? How exactly? Yes. I do love them.

Having been raised behind the hills, it is a surprising thing to say that I love dogs. You see, behind the hills we had a couple of stray dogs for which we pelted them with stones or chased them. They were objects of our instant violence meted on them. We just referred to them as 'T-9', mbwa koko, mbwa wa kuzururazurura. As Kachelibians, we hated dogs. We despised them.

Lorot Son of the Hills, with Sword



That was until I met Tony. You should meet Tony. If there's a person who is passionate about dogs then it is this chap. It all started with a trip to Sarit Centre in Westlands one afternoon. We stood before the notice board. On them they were adverts of various breeds of dogs for sale.

Pure German Shepherd Puppy for sale—Sh. 25,000 o.n.o

Rottweiler, terrier, Japanese spitz, longcourt, pitbull.


Camera, Lights, Action


On the first day I was bored to tears. I mean, there are better ways of having fun but not looking at some adverts of dogs on sale. If I tell this to any one behind the hills, they will think am nuts. But like an open-minded individual I am, I look at this as an adventure, some form of discovery. Ikawa jioni ikawa usiku siku ya kwanza, but I was not convinced.


Then some other day, we take a stroll to the 'open air dog market' near the Westgate Shopping Mall. We meet Nick and see some more dogs. I love the Japanese Spitz. Nick, a dog breeder, talks about his art and means of livelihood. He talks about feeding his dogs daily on chickenheads and rice and dog food. He talks about investing in them. He talks about the challenges, the excitement and the opportunities.




"Sword died last week. He fell ill. Tony informed me about it. He just said it: "Salem, Sword amekufa" "Salem, Sword is dead". That information hit my whole being. My morning was spoilt."











 



Tony tells me that just by rubbing his hands through the skin of the dog he can tell a German Shepherd. He can also smell it and tell the difference. I ask him, "Tony, sasa hizi mbwa mnanunua kwa streets utajuaje imepewa vaccine?" "Tony, how can you tell whether a dog has been vaccinated or not?"

He reassures me: "Salem, angalia mate yake isiwe sticky..coz ikiwa sticky haijapewa" "Salem, check its saliva, if it is sticky then chances are that it has not been vaccinated".

One Wednesday evening we went to the 'open air dog market' and bought a 2 months-old German Shepherd. Tony gave a cool Ksh 12,000. I saw the wad of 1000 notes he gave to Nick's 'spannerboy'. I remember thinking: 12,000 shillings? For a dog? I can have better alternatives of spending that money. Tony instantly named the pet 'Sword'. I loved him instantly and posed with him for photos.


Sword, in a meditative gaze
I rubbed my fingers through his skin and played with him. Sword was always a playful pet.

 








Sword died last week. He fell ill. Tony informed me about it. He just said it: "Salem, Sword amekufa" "Salem, Sword is dead". That information hit my whole being. My morning was spoilt. Sword, my friend was dead? Why Sword? I pictured the dead body of Sword without life, no warmth, stiffened. I flashed the play I had with him, the photos I had. This was sad for me to bear. It will take time before it dawned on me that Sword is actually dead.

Two days ago we went to Lower Kabete Veterinary to get the results of the post-mortem. They were not yet out. Sword was no more and I felt very sad about it.






Fare thee well, Sword, Fare thee well.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment