Monday, November 1, 2010

An Open Letter to PUSA Leadership

(Written on June 22nd 2009)

My PUSA leaders, first, I would like to convey my sincere greetings to you. Being my leaders you must be “in the thick of things” to bring change to this association. I don’t know what you are doing behind the scenes so the presumption is that you are helping the association grow and realize the goals that “our founding fathers” envisioned.

When I elected you, sirs, into office on December 2008 I did so on two grounds: One, in exercise of my suffrage. Two, I felt that PUSA needed a new lease of life to “obamanise” it with a new direction and purpose.

I felt that PUSA didn’t need to fight small wars of who said this and did that but fight on issues which will be a boon to the association. I heard of the manifestos of all the candidates who were vying for various positions. People articulated issues, worthy issues, a program of action for PUSA of PUSA. We heard the swear against benefiting individual self. Some candidates lost their voices because their voice boxes worked overtime during campaigns.

As a PUSA member, seated at County Hall I saw PUSA at the defining moment of history. As a group we had so many obstacles shoved our way. We had inherited the ills, afflictions and baggage of our forefathers. We had lagged behind in development. As a group, our voice, our intellectual voice was unheard or if heard it was faint. We had been caught in a time warp, frozen as back as 70s and 80s lifestyles. As an elite group, we had the “Pokot Power” locked in our bones. We only needed to realize this and catch up with other people.

That is why I was very hopeful on December 2008. Issues were articulated which I thought “By the bald head of Loitabela, this is great, that is progressive, a true Pokot genius”. Sirs, you remember well the report that was read by the former office. Members could question some transactions. Members asked why and how, checked and cross-checked. Members wanted to be responsible for their affairs. That was 2008. This is 2009. Members will up their mark because you were elected on an elevated platform, a platform that will steer us from empty rhetoric to concrete actions. We had leapt into the future and nothing was to hold us back.

This is why I am hopeful of you. Trapped in your souls is the legacy you may want to leave to the Pokot sons and daughters. I don’t know what motivated you into office but let me assume that it was to diligently “serve” PUSA. I could also be wrong, I can’t tell.

But if what motivated you was to leave a legacy; if what motivated you was to exude “Pokot Power”; if in deed what motivated you was selfless service then I write this with “comradely love”. This is because such people are rare nowadays. They are the diamonds in the dirt.

With me I retain the copies of your manifestos, the lot of you. You wrote brilliant things for us and we elected you based on those. Once in a while, I glimpse at them and look back to where you are right now.

As I write this on 22nd June 2009, this is the 171st day since you took office. Sirs, as a dutiful member of PUSA I still feel that you have “restrained the agility of your feet” in taking us to the Promised Land and “undermined” our potential of reaching majestic heights. To the best of my knowledge, your account reads 2,000 shillings from the previous office. This is after 171 days in office. I feel that based on the expectations that we had on you, you have still leave much to be desired. I am being diplomatic in my words, forgive the diplomatese. Members are developing a “ngeta feeling”, their throats have constricted with seething rage and suppressed expectation. Don’t let this revolution miscarry.

So, sirs, search yourselves. Meet as a group and ignite the “Pokot Power”. There is strength in group. You are left with 194 days. You have two choices: One, you can ignore us and pursue what the group will chide and finish your terms. After all, in our united angst and anger, we will quarrel with you and call you “the Pokot black sheep” or something close to “sleepwalkers of Pokot history” but that will be much of it. Two, you can be the movers of PUSA history, leaders who will remain in our lips of gratitude and who we will commend: “In 2009 we had our true Pokot sons who remained true to the Pokot cause, they fought as a group so that as a group we exalt them”

The choice is yours, sirs. With your indulgence, sirs, let me remind you that there really is no witness so terrible, no accuser so powerful as the conscience that dwells in each of us. Much later when you would have left office, your conscience will nag. Let it nag for the legacy you would have left, not your disgrace. They say advice is a stranger; if welcome he stays for the night; if not welcome, he returns home the same day. I have every confidence that come December 2009 we will be reminiscing a success story, a Pokot success story.

Your faithful Member,
Lorot Salem

No comments:

Post a Comment