Monday, December 13, 2010

Ode to Men #4



Having communed with the hills, I trudged down to seek audience with man. My camel-skin sandal straps tied my feet just as well but it was not much of my concern. As I walked in the darkness, I kept telling myself: In this darkness is the story of man silhouetted. In this darkness is there fight between evil and good. In this darkness is the message for man, of his triumph and of his defeat.

So I was on the footpath, as a messenger to man, walking with a message in my breast trying to find best ways to tell man this peculiar message. Man was asleep by the time I enter my hut, slip off my camel-skin sandals and go to sleep.

On the Village Square, the following day, I stand to address men as thus:

“I have message from the seven hills, sons and daughters of the hills. I have a message for you. It is not in my tradition to keep you waiting and being long-winded. The hills, the seven hills, are displeased with you. When I told you they will go into forty days of mourning, they did so and finished that yesterday. The evil among us will die eventually from the rot of their actions. The good among us will be like the endless plains, expansive and a good sight to behold. The hills have said that they will not condemn you. Let the evil rejoice. Let them celebrate, but for a while. For the hills will not send wind nor misfortune nor condemnation. The hills have cried for man, the sons and daughters of the hills.  The evil among us can still change their ways—there is always that window.

“I have spoken the message. I am done. Let evil and good both live, the hills say. For the cause of man, let both live. I am finished, my message is delivered.”





No comments:

Post a Comment