Monday, August 22, 2011

Trip to Shimo La Tewa Prison, Mombasa (Part 1)

Finally, I am travelling to Mombasa. As a herdsboy who has been raised in 'bara', you see, what Coast has to offer-- the beaches, the coral reefs, the boat rides, the sluggish and easy walks-- all of them are so inviting. We are on a school trip to Shimo La Tewa Prison to give legal aid to the remandees and prisoners.

Friday 19th-- the D-Day

We check into the bus at around 9. We are off by around 9.30. I carry a small bag containing a few clothes, Patrick Kiage's Essentials of Criminal Procedure, The Constitution ( Well, let me admit it is the Proposed New Constitution but hey it is the real thing nonetheless), a small notebook and my favourite copy of Nuyorican Poets Cafe ( to take care of my poetry cravings, you know).

You remember how we used to write our compositions? We went, went, we weeeeeee-eee-nnnnt, we weeeeeeeent and weeeeent. Yes. It was a long journey. At around 6 p.m, we had checked into Mombasa town. A colleague points to me Nyali Bridge. So this is Nyali Bridge after all? I think to myself. Then I see a board saying Kisauni, Mtwapa and Kongowea ( I am not very sure about Kongowea. You see I could create places in my mind). All I know is that I felt excited being at Mtwapa. I felt like to call my kinsmen and tell them " Nimetua Mtwapa mimi kwa raha zangu" ( I have landed at Mtwapa 'in my happiness'). I just sit, talk and observe.

We stop somewhere near Nakumatt Shopping Mall. We are given around 20 minutes. I walk purposefully to the mall, stroll checking what it has to offer. I make up my mind that I am not buying anything. Thoughts of being rich flood my mind. I think for a moment that I am the owner of Nakumatt ( more precisely, majority shareholder) but you see these thoughts are very depressing. So I stick to being the consumer, do several laps, check the price of a good bag as if I would eventually buy it and off I get out.

Twenty minutes are over. We get into the bus. Destination? Danpark Hotel and Apartments. We are allocated rooms. My friend Tom and I are allocated room no. 14. We get inside the rooms, shower, watch news briefly and get out to have our supper. What a meal from the buffet! ( I can bet I have added a kg from all this). There was this blind man ( not blind, I am sorry, that is not politically correct: A man who had lost his ability of eyesight) who was a comedian/singer/clown/pseudo-Moi/pseudo-Kibaki, a motorcycle and even a plane! He rocked our evening.

I scan the room later. We have a balcony outside. Inside, I see a bible written das neue testament, le nouveau testament, the new testament. I think: These people are considerate to feed the body and the soul. Another good thing is that their sandals are not of different colours and not disfigured.  That is a story for another day ( ha ha). No much event. I am tired. Tom is tired. We hit the bed at around 11 p.m. Day one over.

20th August.

Saturday Morning. Dan Park Hotel and Apartments. There are some kinds of breakfasts which are not breakfasts. They should be named something else ( may be early lunch or something close to that) for all I know of a break fast is that it consists of a cup of tea and may be a mandazi and that is it! Now, when we have cornflakes, milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, slices of bread, watermelons, bananas and some mandazis, I am at a loss my good people. Speaking of which, what is a nylon tea? I saw it somewhere along the queue of what we were supposed to take but I chose to ignore it. You see, they say better the tea you know than the nylon tea you don't know.

At around 9 a.m, we set off to Shimo La Tewa Prison. In the meantime, some chap is telling me that the acronym HAGUE ( pronounced HAGUE), stands for : H- Henry Kosgei, A-Arap Sang, G- General Ali, U- Uhuru Kenyatta, E- Eldoret North MP. How people can devise such beats me!

Inside the prison, we are addressed by Mr. Sawe who we were told was the officer- in- charge. He tells us that there are around 2,300 remandees inside there ( actually an excess of 1,300 because the capacity is for 1000 only). I think: Shouldn't we think more about rehabilitation than punitive punishment? What of out-of-court-settlements and ADRs?  As we are taken round, I see the usual board of the rights of the prisoners by KNCHR. We are also shown the MUHURI office and madrassa. This is commendable. But I have my doubts. Are these offices cosmetic, so to speak, or are they there to defend the rights of the prisoners? Because, there were common legal problems of prisoners' rights being infringed. I also notice that there are flowers and a beautiful garden. Wonderful, I think to myself. A nagging thought, though, : Pray, what does Shimo La Tewa mean? I note that their vision is to be a "correctional service of excellence in Africa and beyond". Not bad for a prison. Not bad at all. Another positive thing is their "karakana" where we saw charcoal jikos, beds, tables, stools and wonderful pieces of furniture made in prison.

We gather somewhere and start the business that really brought us. We offer our pieces of advice for about two hours. These interviews were really practical because you were dealing with a real person with a real problem. Not some abstract postulations. And you could feel how law operates as opposed to how it ought to operate. You meet a wide array of issues, look one accused of murder straight in the face and all this time you are thinking: Did he really kill? His eyes are so calm not to have stirred up violence? Why did he kill ( assuming that he killed) But you don't ask these questions.

In our trip, we visit the cells. I notice a soap stuck on a wall. The place is clean and from the fact that we are shown only two rooms I am led to think that this could have been a PR exercise.

( There are a couple of events subsequent to this. Watch out for part 2).





No comments:

Post a Comment